The toman diaries

Back to the Windows

I admit it. I gave up. I resorted back to Windows after trying a myriad of Linux versions. Why?

Every Linux was way to slow on my pii300 machine. Lastly I ran Debian woody with nothing installed except Xfree86 and WindowMaker besides the 'base system'. - And Opera, just to try if it would help things out. But no, Opera was as slow on Debian as on Suse as on Fedora. Windows XP pro is a dream come through. Really.

The only thing that was faster on linux was running multiple applications at once. No matter how many apps I had running, 20'ish on each virtual desktop, nothing seemed to slow down, except it was really slow to begin with.

So what is the minimum requirements for any given kernel? Do I have to compile it myself to make things better? I guess that would help. But for any given default kernel on any given distribution it seems like you need at least 700 electrical horsepowers.

Now I can print to our network printer as well; Canon i550 officially has no support in cups. Shame on Canon.

This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?