The toman diaries

100MB free webmail

Until recently (today in fact), I thought the only good free webmail was gone. I used to use runbox, a Norwegian provider for my mail, because it provided it's users with as much as 100MB of storage, and every access-option you could name, including imap and wap.
But, runbox had to catch up with reality and start charging a small fee for it's services.

Today, while I don't really remember what I was doing, I came across a page in the Norewegian broadcasting corp (NRK) network, where they surprisingly enough discussed their own free webmail. And guess what? - It's based on runbox!

Cool, so I signed up and set up the pop address for some of my other accounts with less storage. "Do not keep on server".
But doh? nrkpost.no didn't have pop access? What to do?

Hack-a-little.
Knowing how they were powered by runbox, and seing in my firewall that when I connected to nrkpost.no, I was really connecting to one runbox server, I started thinking.
What if I log on to the runbox server using pop? And so I did, but with a twist: It didn't accept my username alone, but bundled with the domain (@nrkpost.no), I was able to both pop and smtp at runbox' servers! (With the password, of course..)

Sadly, it doesn't work with imap, but who really needs IMAP anyway. I'm glad. 100MB! For free! And fast!

This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?